About Hands on Stanzas

Hands on Stanzas, the educational outreach program of the Poetry Center of Chicago places professional, teaching Poets in residence at Chicago Public Schools across the city. Poets teach the reading, discussion, and writing of poetry to 3 classes over the course of 20 classroom visits, typically from October through April. Students improve their reading, writing, and public speaking skills, and participating teachers report improved motivation and academic confidence. You can contact Cassie Sparkman, Director of the Hands on Stanzas program, by phone: 312.629.1665 or by email: csparkman(at)poetrycenter.org for more information.

Wednesday, January 16, 2008

Poems about Dreams: Fantasy by Gwendolyn Bennett

Dreams often represent our fears and desires summoned from our subconscious. They are often strange and beautiful and sometimes frightening. They have been a vehicle not only for poetry, but for many artists for centuries.

Ivan A
Grade 3

I had a dream
That my sister went
To a hypnosis store
She saw a clock
That moves side to side
They look small
Somewhere
Hypnosis
I was scared
I asked me sister
If we can leave
She said my mom
Gave her money
To buy the clock
I told my mom NO
But she opened
Hypnosis
The cashier got angry
So he hypnotized my sister
To steal something
Then I woke up

Veronica M
Grade 3

In one dream I had
It was my birthday
I was 9 now
But the other day
I woke and
It was my birthday
But this time
I was 6
I said “the time
Is going backwards”
But no one believed me
The other day
I was 1
I was just a baby
It was weird
I said “next time
I won’t exist!”
I was worried
I woke up
And I was a lot better

Isaiah
Grade 3

One time I had a dream
That a zombie
Was taking a shower
In my bathroom
So I had to hurry up
And put new toilet paper on

Ethan R
Grade 3

I had a dream
When I was climbing
The tallest tower of all
I jumped down
And I used the
Fizzy Lifting Drink
To float myself
All the way into the sky
And I steer myself in the sky

Nancy G
Grade 6

Walking on the lonely street
I’m alone in the world
No one there to find me
Hear a voice crying on the floor
I talk to a girl who was crying
She is very nice and kind
She understands me so much
Is this really happining?
I open my eyes
She’s gone
It’s over that fast.

Fabian J
Grade 6

Falling
Flying
Dying
It feels
So real
I get scared
I just want to run
Leave the dark
And go to the sun
I’ll burn bark
To stay warm
To form
Cannibals eating
But they are feeding
On a friend
Till he’s at the end
You feel pain
Then you gain
Another fear
But then you hear
A loud screech
But it’s just out of reach
A guy wearing heels
In a deal
Of poker
Whether fun
But when you’re done
You feel a hard gun
Until you get up
You feel water on your face
And an empty cup
Right in front.

Mirella R
Grade 6

Once in my world of dreams
I saw a great big light
The light was coming from the building
As I got closer
There was smoke all around
As I heard the crying of infants
I quickly went inside
When I was inside the wood was falling apart
I found the infants
The door to get out was blocked
As the building started to fall apart
An alarm went off
I stood up in bed
Wondering what had happened
To the infants and me

Cierra T
Grade 6

I went into my dreams
Dark and night
Where it’s haunting
With fear and fright
I see the shadows
On the wall
Until I take a dark fall
My mother tells me
To wake up
Until the day
I sleep walk

Alondra G
Grade 7

I was jumping
On a mountain
Jump jump
Suddenly I fell down
Down down
Feeling the air on my face
Face face
Suddenly I broke my spine
Spine spine
Screaming help
Help help
Then closing my eyes
Eyes eyes
And looking at the bright
Bright light
Saying goodbye
Bye bye

Fernando G
Grade 7

A dream expresses me
One night it could be scary
You were probably chased
By something hairy
Another night you could be happy
You could have fun
But once you realize it
You are done
Another night you could be sad
You might be sad at your dad
You try to remember why
You are sad
The you finally remember
Your dad didn’t let you camp

Marcelino P
Grade 8

I was sitting on my front porch
Suddenly this big monster
Came and took me to space
He let me go
I was scared
I was flying in the dark
It felt crazy
I was flipping in space
No gravity
Then it felt good flying
Until Superman came
And saved me
Then I woke up a little bit scared
I went to the bathroom
Then I came back to bed
And my dream was finished
By me thanking Superman

Lance P
Grade 8

I fall off a mountain
Into the sky
I swim laps
Around Dean’s chocolate milk
I can play basketball
With the moon
Shoot pool
With the stars
Run laps
Around the sun
And sit on a cloud
To take a rest

Jesse H
Grade 8

You were dead
I was not
How did it happen?
I forgot
You were laughing
Having fun
Then he came out
With a gun
I went between you’s
To help out
He shot me
But it got you
How did it happen?
Did I vanish?
Or did I only see
How young you were
How old was I
I missed you
Oh how I cried
Then I saw you alive
Happy I was
Then I awoke
And you were gone

Alexis C
Grade 8

I was in a huge cornfield
And it was midnight
And I was walking
Through the corn
All of the sudden
I saw a man with a torch
And I got so scared
That I died
And then I saw myself
On the field
Laying there
And I was watching myself
From the sky
So I thought
That was pretty weird

No comments: