About Hands on Stanzas

Hands on Stanzas, the educational outreach program of the Poetry Center of Chicago places professional, teaching Poets in residence at Chicago Public Schools across the city. Poets teach the reading, discussion, and writing of poetry to 3 classes over the course of 20 classroom visits, typically from October through April. Students improve their reading, writing, and public speaking skills, and participating teachers report improved motivation and academic confidence. You can contact Cassie Sparkman, Director of the Hands on Stanzas program, by phone: 312.629.1665 or by email: csparkman(at)poetrycenter.org for more information.

Sunday, December 2, 2007

Poems of Apology: This is Just to Say by William Carlos Williams

We are often made to feel like we should be sorry for something we've done, especially children. They sometimes apologize because they are told to, not because they feel bad about what they have done. The students enjoyed this lesson so much that many of them wrote several confessioinal apology poems!

Luis
Grade 3

I’m sorry for
Jumping on the
Sofa
Which you were
Probably going
To clean tomorrow
But I’m not that sorry
Because it’s
So much fun

Edgar R
Grade 3

I have called
Jovany a pimple face
He probably felt
Really mad

Sorry, I can’t
Tell lies if he
Really has pimples

Fernando S
Grade 3

I am sorry
Because I
Put on a mask
And I put
Blood on my face
And I put
On a cap
And I scared
My sister
And it was
So funny
And I think I am
Going to
Do a trap
And put water
In a bucket

Aileen J
Grade 3

I am sorry
To my brother
I open my
Brothers room
When my brother
Was sleeping
I get his money
He had $52.59
I went to the store

Freddy L
Grade 6

She got on my nerves
She kept on doing it
I hit her
I said sorry to her
But I really didn’t
Mean it

Christian E
Grade 6

When I was hiding
From my sister
All the lights were off
She was looking
For me
But she didn't find me
Then I came out
And screamed at her
Then she started
Crying so I
Had to say
Sorry
But I told her
"macaroni"
Then she started
Laughing

Andrea B
Grade 6

I am sorry that I
Broke the chair

I am happy that I
Fixed it
I am happy that I
Told Luis to sit on it
I am happy that he
Fell down

So what I am saying is
Forgive me Luis
For doing this to you
Even if I loved it
And laughed my head off
And you stopped talking
On the phone

Baby
Christian G
Grade 7

I never felt it
Never saw it

I never want to feel it
I never want to see it

But I heard it
Hurts and when

It comes out your
Life changes and it will

What I heard is that
You push with

All your might first
You don't feel it, but

Then it comes so bad
it hurts so bad

But it's all worth it
It comes

And you feel good
Because it's your baby

Jessica Y
Grade 7

I am not sorry
For hitting my sister
I am sorry for disobeying
My mom
By hitting my sister
Although it feels great
Hitting them
I should not disobey
My mom
Because it might
Break her heart

Alondra G
Grade 7

I hit you
On the face
With a big heavy ball
Forgive me very much
It was very
Funny looking
At you and
Your big purple funny
Eye

Jasmine Washington
Grade 8

I am sorry for tha….
I have slapped
Your daughter
My hand
Slipped

Her face turned
Red slightly
She held her
Tears back
Tightly

Forgive me
She looked so
Sad her
Face was
Cherry red

Jovany C
Grade 8

I’m sorry for
Breaking the window
But I was
Playing outside
Maybe
If you opened the window
It wouldn’t be cracked
Sorry for breaking
The dumb window

No comments: